What makes a successful recruiter at Morgan McKinley?
Being Successful | Part 5 of 6
I used to think that recruiting was all about finding the right people, and this is still the largest part of the business. I learned more about communities of developers, industry groups, and elite academic programs than anyone else in Tokyo, and quickly gained a reputation for knowing the smartest developers and highest-earning salespeople in town.
I then joined Morgan McKinley, and learned that the business we have is really about customer service. My recruitment consulting practice is about preparing each person whom I meet for the next step, working transparently with both hiring managers and job seekers, and leading from the front.
To do this you need:
- Patience with people and the ability to listen carefully
- The ability to behave honestly and professionally in a variety of high-pressure situations
- Self-motivation and discipline to be able to build your own client base
- A natural curiosity about the business world, knowledge of current events
- The ability to understand brokering, or street smarts
Having these attributes won’t necessarily help everyone. I think the biggest factor is your personal willingness to succeed in the business.
I hope this has been useful to you. If you’re considering recruitment, or want to know more about Morgan McKinley, please contact us. We’re patient, and we are willing ourselves to be the best technology consulting practice in Tokyo. You can see our current opportunities here.
Timothy Trahan | IT Recruitment Team Leader, Tokyo
Part 1 of 6: Working at Morgan McKinley
Part 2 of 6: Benefits at Morgan McKinley
Part 3 of 6: Our Team at Morgan McKinley
Part 4 of 6: A Career Perspective at Morgan McKinley