Team China had it's first MMK Million activity last weekend.
We all went out to a suburban area of Shanghai called Songjiang on a nice Saturday morning, equipped with lots of coffee and a positive attitude to contribute to a better environment by planting some trees.
Once we arrived at this interesting botanic garden we suited up and planted over 12 trees, after which we enjoyed a delicious organic Chinese lunch made of quality local produce.
We were told about the benefits of tree planting and wanted to share several of these:
- An average size tree creates sufficient oxygen in one year to provide oxygen for a family of four.
- Planting trees in the right place around buildings and homes can cut air-conditioning costs up to 50 percent.
- Planting trees for the environment is good as they are renewable, biodegradable and recyclable.
- During photosynthesis, trees and other plants absorb carbon dioxide and give off oxygen.
- Trees keep in cheek the air and water pollution.
- Why planting trees is important is evident as they are the natural habitat of the animals and birds, as well as many endangered species.